Dayton girls soccer advances
November 1, 2007
The Dayton High girls soccer team made history on Thursday when it beat Whittell 4-3 in the first round of the Northern 3A playoffs.
It was the first time that either a Dayton girls or boys soccer team was able to advance in the playoffs. The Dust Devils, the No. 2 seed in their league, will play Truckee, the No. 1 seed in the other Northern 3A league, at 1 p.m. today at Fallon in the semifinals.
If Dayton wins, it would clinch a spot in the NIAA 3A State Championships. Even if the Dust Devils lose, they could still make it to state with a win in Saturday’s third place game.
Dayton built a 4-0 halftime lead against Whittell when Erika Garcia scored on an assist from Yvonne Durado, Natasha Olivera scored on an assist from Garcia, Sara Elissa scored and Garcia scored on an assist from Jackie Talavera.
Whittell scored three second half goals, scoring with five minutes left for the final margin. Goalie Stephanie Shoup made 10 saves for Dayton.
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection