Dayton softball wins two key games
April 6, 2003
The Dayton High softball team picked up two key wins against Spring Creek on Saturday at home to stay near the top of the Northern 3A standings.
Dayton (14-3-1, 7-1) swept the doubleheader, winning the opener 2-1 and the nightcap 6-4. Nicole Greer pitched a gem in the opener, going the distance, allowing four hits and striking out two.
The Dust Devils had just two hits, but both were key hits in the fifth inning during Dayton’s winning rally. Jessie Ayres began the rally with a walk. Natalie Malekos followed with a sacrifice bunt and both runners were safe on an error on the play.
Lacy Taylor singled to load the bases and Greer singled home Ayres. When Spring Creek tried to throw out Taylor at second, Malekos also scored.
Greer was also the winning pitcher in the nightcap, allowing two runs on four hits while striking out seven over 5 2/3 innings.
Ayres went 2-for-3 with a triple and two runs scored, Malekos was 2-for-3 with a double and a run, Taylor was 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run, Amanda Sbragia was 1-for-2 with two RBIs, a double and a run and Melony Cox was 1-for-3 with an RBI for Dayton.
Trending In: Sports
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Carson High’s Pradere wins 1600, Sierra Lutheran dominates 1A at state track
- State track: Sierra Lutheran boys 2nd
- Fallon advances to the NIAA 3A softball championship