Douglas boys soccer beats Reno
September 19, 2007
The Douglas High boys soccer team made its first night under the lights a memorable one as it beat Reno High 2-1 in a key Sierra League matcup on Wedneday at Douglas.
Douglas (8-2, 2-1) with the wind at its back in the first half was able to take a 2-0 halftime lead during the first night boys soccer game every played in school history. Jeff Crozier scored off of an assist from Eddie Vega in the first five minutes and Vega scored off of an assist from Oscar Gonzalez to make it 2-0 at halftime.
Reno had the wind at its back in the second half and was able to score off of a defensive mistake with 25 minutes left, but Douglas was able to hang on. “The kids played with a lot of emotion,” Douglas coach Milko Vasquez said.
Vasquez also said his team was able to match Reno’s physical style of play. “I thought we matched them physically,” he said.
Ivan Gonzalez was solid at goalie and Jose Alcaraz, the regular goalie, who has been filling in at sweeper, moved back to goalie in the second half to help preserve the win. Ross Gardner came on to fill in with a solid effort at sweeper for Alcaraz.
Kyle Gardner, Andrew Andraski, Edgar Arceo, Robbie Forest, Biran Randall and Austin Shick also all played well for Douglas.
Trending In: Sports
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit