Douglas boys soccer goes 3-1 in tourney
August 27, 2005
The Douglas High boys soccer team ended an impressive run at the Howell Memorial Tournament at Galena on Saturday, finishing 3-1.
On Saturday, Douglas beat Galena 3-0 and Reno High 2-1 and lost to Northern 3A power Truckee 4-0. Truckee went on to advance to the tournament’s championship game.
Against Galena, Michael Gransbery scored two goals on assists from David Sturgess and Martin Rubio and Sturgess scored an unassisted goal. The Tigers came back to beat Reno with Sturgess scored on a penalty kick after Oscar Gonzalez drew a foul.
The game-winner came when Ray Kaffer crossed the ball and Justin Grimm dove for the ball and scored on a header. Steve Done and Chris Aguilar combined on the win at goalie and Done also made a save on a penalty kick. Kyle Mannschrieck played solid defense as well.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand