Douglas softball falls to Clovis
April 16, 2003
The Douglas High softball team rallied against Central California section power Clovis before the Cougars pulled away for a 7-3 win on Tuesday.
Douglas was playing for the right to advance to the championship round of the Clovis, Calif. Tournament against a team ranked No. 1 in the nation in the preseason. Playing against tough competition, the Tigers finished 2-3 in the event.
The Tigers scored three runs in the top of the sixth inning to pull within 4-3. But Clovis responded with three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Devon Bateman and Valerie Smith singled and Kayla Dunn followed with a two-run single during the Tigers’ rally. After Ashley Arneson walked, Stevie Smith drove home another run. Arneson also had a hit for Douglas.
Katie Pagen (11-3) took the loss even though she only allowed three earned runs and struck out six. Douglas hurt itself with five errors.
Trending In: Sports
- Carson High School athletes honored with post-season awards
- Carson City’s Kyrsta Palmer wins U.S. title, off to World Cup
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- Reno A’s use walks to beat Carson Blue Jays