Duncan qualifies for U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship
June 19, 2003
Carson City’s Jeff Duncan was the only local golfer to qualify for the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship on Tuesday at Thunder Canyon.
Duncan, the brother of University of Nevada golf coach Tom Duncan, shot rounds of 71 and 69 to finish with a 4-under-par 140 during the qualifier at Thunder Canyon. Duncan qualified for the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship to be held July 14-19 in Atlantic City, N.J. He will be one of 156 players going for the title in the match play event.
Even though Duncan was the only local player to qualify, other local golfers played well in the qualifier. Ian Hagen, who just finished his career at Nevada, did qualify as the first alternate with a 142 (73-69). Ivan Holmes, another Wolf Pack golfer, was the second alternate with a 143 (73-70). Bryson Young, a 2002 Galena High graduate, and Nevada golfer Jason Ferrin both finished with a 144.
Trending In: Sports
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Carson High’s Pradere going for redemption at state
- Carson High’s Pradere wins 1600, Sierra Lutheran dominates 1A at state track
- Fallon advances to the NIAA 3A softball championship