Fischer ends as 20-time All-American
March 20, 2002
Carson High graduate Rebecca Fischer ended her college career as a 20-time All-American for the University of North Dakota women’s swim team.
At the NCAA Division II Championships this past weekend in Orlando, Fla., Fischer, a team captain, helped the Fighting Sioux to a fifth place finish. She anchored the 200, 400 and 800 yard freestyle relays to All-American finishes. She also finished in the top eight in the 100 and 200 breaststrokes and the 400 individual medleys to be named as an All-American in those events.
“It has been a great four years swimming for the University of North Dakota,” Fischer said. “I will miss the friendships and swimming for a great university, but now it is time to concentrate on my career.
“Having 20 All-American certificates on my office wall should have some effect on those swimmers I will recruit.”
Fischer plans a career as a college swimming coach.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand