Galena beats nation’s No. 1 team
September 17, 2004
Even though the Galena High volleyball team didn’t have the most successful of days, it can still claim a win over the No. 1 team in the country.
Galena opened pool play with a 25-13, 10-25, 15-5 win over Mira Costa of Manhattan Beach, Calif., at the Durango Fall Classic. Mira Costa came in as the nation’s No. 1 ranked team by PrepVolleyball.com. Galena, though, lost to two other California teams to finish 1-2 in pool play on Friday.
The Grizzlies (23-4) lost 18-25, 25-21, 3-15 and then lost to La Costa Canyon, another nationally ranked tea, 17-25, 13-25. The tournament features 32 of the nation’s top teams.
“Very tough competition,” Galena coach Teresa Burrows said. “We played really well thins morning and we haven’t played so well since.”
Trending In: Sports
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- State track: Sierra Lutheran boys 2nd
- Prep Roundup: Douglas High softball falls in state title game
- Carson High’s Pradere wins 1600, Sierra Lutheran dominates 1A at state track