Galena beats nation’s No. 1 team
September 17, 2004
Even though the Galena High volleyball team didn’t have the most successful of days, it can still claim a win over the No. 1 team in the country.
Galena opened pool play with a 25-13, 10-25, 15-5 win over Mira Costa of Manhattan Beach, Calif., at the Durango Fall Classic. Mira Costa came in as the nation’s No. 1 ranked team by PrepVolleyball.com. Galena, though, lost to two other California teams to finish 1-2 in pool play on Friday.
The Grizzlies (23-4) lost 18-25, 25-21, 3-15 and then lost to La Costa Canyon, another nationally ranked tea, 17-25, 13-25. The tournament features 32 of the nation’s top teams.
“Very tough competition,” Galena coach Teresa Burrows said. “We played really well thins morning and we haven’t played so well since.”
Trending In: Sports
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion