Galena boys basketball rolls to victory
December 9, 2005
The Galena High boys basketball team rolled to its first win of the year, beating Jefferson of South San Francisco 80-41 on Friday at home.
Galena jumped out to a 21-8 lead after one quarter, led 37-12 at halftime and 61-18 after three quarters. Other than giving up 23 points in the fourth quarter, Galena coach Tom Maurer was pleased with his team’s effort.
“It’s nice to be home and obviously to get some confidence,” Maurer said. “We got a chance to play a lot of kids. We played hard.”
Nine players scored for Galena. With the Grizzlies set to play five games next week when it hosts the George Maldonado Classic, which will feature some of the nation’s top teams, Maurer said he wants to keep his team as fresh as possible. “We’re going to play a lot of basketball next week,” he said.
Luke Babbitt scored 23 points in about eight to nine minutes of action. Maurer said the game also gave him a chance to see how his team would play without Babbitt. Eric Maupin added 13 points.
Galena will host Caldwell, Idaho, at 5 p.m. today.
Trending In: Sports
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit