Galena boys tennis advances to finals
October 21, 2004
The Galena High School boys tennis team will be playing for the NIAA 4A State championship.
Galena advanced to the finals with a 25-20 win over Basic on Thursday at Reno’s Plumas Courts. Galena advanced to face Palo Verde, a 32-13 winner over Reno High, at 9 a.m. today.
Chris Schwartz and Wes Reimer swept their matches in doubles to lead Galena, winning 7-5, 6-1, 6-0. Also in doubles, Ben Lundahl and Matt Archer and Colin Davis and Gavin Deller won twice for Galena.
Lundahl and Archer won 6-2, 6-2 and Davis and Deller won 6-1, 6-0. In singles, Jalenda Shrestha won 6-1 and Abe Rubenstein won 6-0.
The Galena girls lost 31-14 in the semifinals to Palo Verde. Palo Verde will play Reno, a 25-20 winner over Coronado, for the title.
Galena’s Julie Burgarello teamed with Trisha Nichols to win twice in doubles, winning 6-3, 6-3. Also for Galena, Sierra Leeder swept in singles, winning 6-3, 6-1 and 6-4 and Justina Martynaityte won 6-1.
Trending In: Sports
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe