Galena boys win at South Tahoe
December 11, 2002
The Galena High boys basketball team won for just the second time in 11 years at South Tahoe, pulling out a 47-42 win on Tuesday.
Galena let a 12-point lead slip away and actually trailed by one with two minutes left. Galena coach Tom Maurer said he was pleased with the way his team played in the last two minutes, but added his club has a long ways to go.
“We made things very interesting,” Maurer said. “Yeah I’m happy that we won. I’m also concerned because we have to work on some things.”
Nine of Galena’s 10 players scored and Maurer said that all 10 of his players played well.
“That was highly encouraging,” Maurer said. “They all contributed very well.”
Whip Thompson scored 12 points, Bobby Contreras had eight points and Derrik Lorenzen added seven points. Galena was led defensively and on the boards by Dalton Turnbow.
Recommended Stories For You
Turnbow held 6-8 center Curtis Johnson to five points. “He just shut Johnson down,” Maurer said. “The kid was just outstanding. The kid played extremely well.”
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Cab driver held for DUI, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says