Galena falls in tournament finals
December 8, 2007
The Galena High boys basketball team got what it expected this weekend, facing physical teams that use an up tempo style at the Monterey Trail Tournament in Elk Grove, Calif.
Galena was up to the task on Friday beating one of the best teams from Stockton, Calif., 88-73, but couldn’t contain Monterey Trail on Saturday, losing in the championship game 77-64.
The Grizzlies trailed 35-32 at halftime, but Monterey Trail took control by outscoring Galena 19-10 in the third quarter to take a 54-42 lead.
“A great tournament with up tempo teams,” said Galena assistant coach Matt Kromberg. “We expected this kind of game.
“It’s early in the season. We’re learing how to play with each other. It was a great learning experience.”
Galena also found out it will have to execute better defensively against up tempo teams.
Recommended Stories For You
“I think when they smelled blood in the water they took advantage of it when they could,” said Kromberg about Monterey Trail. “But it was to be expected. “They’re a very sound, fundamental team.
“They’re well-coached. Defense is definitely our main staple. With up tempo teams, we’ve got to find ways to contain them.”
Luke Babbitt scored 24 points, Jake Mansfield had 16 points and Goose Robinson added 15 points for Galena (2-3).
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 4 Northwest Nevada solar projects proposed