Galena football stuns Manogue
October 16, 2004
The Galena High football team pulled off the most improbable upset thanks to Tyler Ewald.
Ewald kicked three field goals as winless Galena stunned previously unbeaten Manogue 9-7 on Saturday at Manogue. Ewald’s last field goal of 52 yards with two minutes, 35 seconds left gave the Grizzlies (1-7) a 9-7 lead they would never relinquish.
Galena ended Manogue’s 30-game win streak. Manogue (7-1) also came into the game ranked No. 1 in the state.
Ewald’s first field goal gave Galena a 3-0 halftime lead and his second field goal of 48 yards cut Manogue’s lead to 7-6 with 6:10 left in the game.
After Ewald’s second field goal, the Galena defense held and after a bad punt, the Grizzlies got the ball at the Manogue 45-yard line. Michael Houston’s 13-yard run set up Ewald’s 52-yard field goal that gave Galena the lead.
Houston also had a sack on Manogue’s ensuing drive to help secure Galena’s lead. Houston then intercepted a pass in the waning seconds to seal the win.
Trending In: Sports
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion