Galena golf wins again, Carson sixth
March 27, 2002
Galena High again was the class of the field at a 4A tournament it hosted at Lake Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday.
The Grizzlies won for a second straight week, finishing with a score of 392. Carson placed sixth with a 428.
The top six schools were: Galena, 392; Reed, 408; McQueen, 409; South Tahoe, 415; Reno, 426; and Carson, 428.
Scores soared on the tougher Lake Ridge course from last week’s tournament at Eagle Valley Golf Club. Galena’s score went up by 30 shots while Carson’s score went up by 32 shots.
Steve McQuirk shot an 83, Tim Hohl had an 84, Scotty Oxarart and Shawn Heinz each had an 85, Tyson Roser shot a 91 and Bryan Upton fired a 94 for Carson.
Galena’s Pat Flynn was the top medalist with a 72. The Grizzlies’ top golfer, Bryson Young, had an off day as he shot an 80.
Recommended Stories For You
Carson coach Paul Croghan said his goal was for his team to shoot 420.
“I guess we came close to that,” he said. “There’s a couple holes that we had big numbers on.”
Still, after finishing in fourth and sixth in the first two tournaments, Carson is on course to finish in the top eight and qualify for the zone tournament.
“The goal right now is to finish in the top eight,” Croghan said. “We’re in good shape there.”
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature