Galena rolls past Fallon |

Galena rolls past Fallon

Appeal News Service

Galena High School tightened its grip on the High Desert League lead Friday by routing Fallon, 31-6, at the Ed Arciniega Athletic Complex.

Senior quarterback Jacob Anderson threw for more than 200 yards and two touchdowns to keep the Grizzlies undefeated in 2007. Fallon falls to 2-4 overall, 1-2 in league.

The Galena southpaw connected on two touchdown passes to wide receiver Steve Blackhart, while Pete Lazzari and Ryan Howsley each added a score.

Galena coach Steve Struzyk praised Anderson who riddled the Fallon secondary.

“Anderson did an excellent job although he missed a few,” Struzyk said.

Struzyk said his running backs had a good game, and he cited the play of Howsley who had 37 yards on the ground. Lazzari led Galena with 80 yards rushing.

Galena, 6-0 overall and 3-0 in the HDL, couldn’t score in its first two possessions. In the Grizzlies’ first series, Luke Hess faked a punt and ran 8 yards, short of a first down. After Galena recovered a Fallon fumble on the Greenwave 26, the Grizzlies moved the ball to the 5, but Fallon’s defense stopped Jake Hess for no gain on a fourth and 1 from the 5-yard line.

Late in the first quarter, Galena began its third drive on the Fallon 24. A 19-yard pass from Anderson to Jason Parkinson put the ball on the 6. Four plays later, Lazzari scored on a 1-yard run.

Galena took a 10-0 lead in the second quarter on a 23-yard field goal.

The Grizzlies’ defense hurried Fallon quarterback Dexter Daum in the first half and also kept Fallon’s running game to 12 yards.

Fallon had a 41-yard drive fizzle on the Galena 39-yard line with 1:20 before halftime. On Galena’s first down, Anderson found a streaking Blackhart and hooked up with the senior receiver for a 66-yard pass play. The PAT gave Galena a 17-0 lead.

Fallon’s offense struggled on its next series when the Greenwave fumbled on the Galena 15. Two plays later, Anderson connected with Blackhart for a 15-yard pass. Galena’s final score came with 5:18 remaining in the third quarter when Howsley scored on a 5-yard run.

The Greenwave didn’t score until late in the fourth quarter. With 1:38 remaining in the game, Jonathan Green broke loose for a 19-yard run. The 2-point conversion fell short.

Green, who carried the ball three times, gained 34 yards.

Fallon coach Ray Holladay said the Greenwave had the opportunity to score in the first half after Galena took a 10-0 lead.

“From what I saw, we had guys in position to make the plays,” he said.

Holladay said the game’s momentum could have changed if Fallon had converted on a fourth down and scored.

“We got to make the plays,” he said.

Holladay said Fallon played much better in the second half by allowing the Grizzlies only one touchdown.