Galena sweeps singles titles
October 27, 2002
Galena High School’s Andrew Eklov and Julianne Burgarello won the boys and girls singles championships at the NIAA/U.S. Bank State Tennis Championships Saturday in Reno.
Burgarello defeated Aziza Aba-Butain of The Meadows, 6-1, 6-4, in the girls finals at the Plumas Tennis Complex. Julianne’s older sister, Lara Burgarello, won championships in 1997 and 2000 for Bishop Manogue High and the North has now won five of the last seven girls singles titles.
Burgarello, ranked No. 3 among 14-year-old girls singles players by the Northern California Tennis Association, never lost a set to her three state tournament opponents.
Eklov never lost a set, either, capped by a 6-1, 6-0 triumph against Foothill’s Lew DeLeon in the finals. Eklov combined with Josh Roach to win the state doubles championship last year.
Reno’s Scott Fahrendorf and Lukas Cerny captured the boys doubles championship Saturday with a 6-2, 6-2 win over John Fayeghi and Jason Harper of Green Valley in the finals.
Bishop Gorman’s Carrie Schofield and Allison Davis defeated Haley Jones and Katrina Agnir in the girls doubles finals, 6-2, 6-2.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Cab driver held for DUI, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’