Galena volleyball wins Las Vegas event
August 28, 2004
The Galena High volleyball team is expected to contend for the NIAA 4A State championship this year and gave every indication that’s what it plans to do by rolling to the title in the Las Vegas Invitational on Saturday.
Galena went 9-0 in the event which featured 35 teams from Utah, California and Nevada. Middle blocker Jenny Burrows was named as the tournament Most Valuable Player and outside hitter Julia Mailander also made the all-tournament team.
“The girls played extremely well,” Galena coach Teresa Burrows said. “We did well for a preseason tournament. I was happy with a lot of things we did as a team.”
Galena went 3-0 on Friday and 3-0 on Saturday in pool play to advance to the Gold Division championship bracket. Galena beat Skyline of Utah 25-17, 25-19 in the quarterfinals, Bishop Gorman 25-19, 16-25, 15-9 in the semifinals and Silverado 25-20, 25-20 in the finals. Other highlights included another three-game win over Bishop Gorman and a three-game victory over Palo Verde.
Coach Burrows also singled out the play of setter Kate Wallace, outside hitters Michelle Drury and Lydia Mailander and opposite side hitter Chelsea Appelbaum.
Trending In: Sports
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion