Galena wins three of four matches in Las Vegas
September 18, 2004
The Galena High School volleyball team capped off a roller coaster ride at the Durango Fall Classic Saturday in Las Vegas.
The Grizzlies won three of four matches to finish 18th in the field of 32 teams representing Nevada, California and Arizona. Galena went 1-2 in pool play on Friday, there was a significant highlight when the Grizzlies won their first match against Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach, Calif.), ranked No. 1 in the nation by PrepVolleyball.com.
“We played better today,” Galena coach Teresa Burrows said. “We did beat Mira Costa, but we weren’t consistent aftter that.”
Galena defeated Presentation (San Jose) 25-12, 25-19, followed by a 25-19, 25-20 victory over Liberty (Las Vegas). The Grizzlies lost to Buchanan (Clovis, Calif.) and then finished the tournament with a 25-21, 25-20 win over Desert Vista (Phoenix, Ariz.).
Galena (26-5 overall, 2-0 High Desert League) returns to action Tuesday with a showdown at league rival Fallon.
Trending In: Sports
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe