Local runners strong at Western Regionals
December 8, 2002
Northern Nevada runners had a strong day on Saturday at the Foot Locker Western Regional Cross Country Championships.
Carson City’s Cassia Roth led the way, placing 11th in the elite race, finishing in 18 minutes, 50 seconds. Recovering from strep throat, Carson City’s Shanna Sparks was also still able to turn in a strong effort in the elite race, placing 25th in 20:00. Reno High’s Collier Lawrence placed 36th.
The top finisher from Northern Nevada in the elite boys race was Jonathan Cardenas as he placed 24th.
In the freshman girls race, Carson’s Annie Brinson placed 24th while in the freshman boys race, Carson’s Anthony Stewart placed 49th. Carson’s Sam Saunders also ran in the freshman race.
Other Northern Nevada finishes included Winnemucca’s Heather Thompson, who won the senior race in 20:00. Elko’s Brittany Almaguer placed third in the junior race in 20:04.
All of the Northern Nevada runners who competed in the Western Regionals will this Saturday in the Junior Olympic National Championships in Atlanta.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Cab driver held for DUI, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says