Local swimmer strong in Santa Clara
June 30, 2002
Lauren Costella had another outstanding effort for the Carson Tigersharks on Saturday at the Santa Clara International Swim Meet.
Justin Barber and Ryan Costella also had solid swims for the Tigersharks as well.
Costella placed fifth in the 400-meter individual medley. After qualifying eighth for the finals in 5 minutes, 3.9 seconds, Costella moved up to fifth in the finals, finishing in 4:59.61. It was an improvement over Costella’s finish in last year’s meet.
Barber placed 48th in the 400 freestyle in 4:15.36. Costella, who will be a junior at Villanova, also competed in the event, finishing 4:19.98. “Both boys swam real well,” Tigershark coach Jim Puleo said.
Puleo said Barber and Costella each split their swims well. Costella swam the first 200 in 2:14.98 while Barber swam the first 200 in 2:07. “That’s a nicely split swim,” said Puleo about Barber.
Also, Carson High graduate Kate Hardt, who will be a freshman at the University of Minnesota, competed in the 200 free for Reno Aquatics, finishing in 2:11.68.
Recommended Stories For You
The meet features elite international swimmers. “It’s a really fast meet,” Puleo said.
The meet concludes today with Lauren Costella going in the 200 butterfly and 800 free and Barber and Ryan Costella swimming in the 800 free.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature