Mauga selected as team captain
August 22, 2008
Appeal Staff Report
In voting by the team, four seniors were chosen as captains for the 2008 Nevada football team on Thursday.
On the offensive side of the ball, center Dominic Green and running back Luke Lippincott were chosen. Joining them from the defensive side are defensive tackle Mundrae Clifton and linebacker Joshua Mauga.
Mauga is the only repeat selection as captain. The Fallon native is a four-year starter who was voted captain in 2007. He has 170 career tackles and is a candidate for WAC Defensive Player of the Year this season. Mauga has been named Preseason All-WAC by several publications and is on the Watch List for the Butkus Award, given annually to the nation’s top linebacker.
Green is another of Nevada’s four-year starters and is a three-time All-WAC honoree. For the second year in a row, he is on the Fall Watch List for the 2008 Rimington Trophy, given annually to the nation’s top center.
Trending In: Sports
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- State track: Sierra Lutheran boys 2nd
- Carson City’s Kyrsta Palmer wins U.S. title, off to World Cup
- Prep Roundup: Douglas High softball falls in state title game