MLB: Bosox gives Crawford $142 million
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) – Outfielder Carl Crawford has reached a preliminary agreement with the Boston Red Sox on a $142 million, seven-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
The agreement is subject to Crawford passing a physical, the person said Wednesday night. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet final.
Crawford’s deal was first reported by The Boston Globe on its website.
“He’s a difference maker for any club he goes to,” manager Joe Girardi of the rival New York Yankees said before the agreement became known. “He changes the complexion of the game. When he’s up, when he’s on the bases, he’s a great player. We’ve had a chance to see him a lot over the last six or seven years. And he’s a pain. That is the type of player he is. You know that any single can be a triple. It’s easy for him to score runs.”
The Yankees also had been speaking with Crawford, even as they made left-hander Cliff Lee their top priority.
“It’s not going to change the way we allocate our money,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said early Thursday.
A four-time All-Star and a first-time Gold Glove winner this year, Crawford hit .307 this year for Tampa Bay and set career highs with 19 homers and 90 RBIs. A four-time stolen base champion, he also swiped 47 bases and led the AL with 13 triples.
He joins a powerful lineup that already includes designated hitter Ortiz and newly acquired first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and helps fill some of the production lost by the departure of catcher Victor Martinez and possible departure of Adrian Beltre. Crawford figures to play left field in an outfield that projects to have Mike Cameron or Jacoby Ellsbury in center and J.D. Drew in right.