Nevada men and women lose players
It was a common sight to see University of Nevada point guard Jocelyn Mancebo fight for a loose ball or battle to get to the basket last season.
Now, she’s fighting for her life.
University of Nevada officials announced Tuesday that Mancebo will undergo brain surgery on Oct. 4 at the University of California, San Francisco to get as much of the tumor removed without damaging any brain functions. It’s not known whether the tumor is cancerous or benign, but Mancebo will have to have chemotherapy and/or radiation after the surgery.
The brain tumor, according to school officials, was discovered when Mancebo was at St. Mary’s High School in Stockton. It was diagnosed as an adult tumor, one which wouldn’t develop until she was in her 30s or later. She had been having six-month checkups, and it was at her latest visit during the summer, that it was discovered that the tumor had started changing and growing.
“It was a big surprise for me,” Mancuso said in a statement released on the Nevada website. “We were expecting that it wouldn’t be an issue for years to come, and that I would be finishing my career at the University of Nevada. It was disappointing, but as much as I wanted to play, my health is more important.
“My coaches and teammates have given me tons of great support. I hear from at least one of my coaches two or three times a day. I haven’t gone a day without talking to teammates regularly. It is great to know they all back me 120 percent.”
Mancebo averaged 11 points a game, and was second in the WAC in making 3-pointers, averaging 1.76 per outing.
“This is a very unfortunate situation for both Jocelyn and the Wolf Pack basketball family,” head coach Kim Gervasoni said in a press release. “Jocelyn is an incredible basketball player and an even more incredible teammate, leader and friend.
“Jocelyn is an extremely strong-willed individual and will, without a doubt, overcome this obstacles ahead of her. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her.”
KEMP OUT FOR YEAR
The men’s basketball team was dealt a blow recently when first-year head coach Mark Fox announced that 6-5 shooting guard Marcelus Kemp tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and would miss the entire season.
The injury was suffered in a pick-up basketball game last week.
Kemp sat out his freshman season at Nevada rehabbing a broken foot. He averaged 4.6 a game last year, and was expected to get plenty of minutes at shooting guard this season. The school already has said that it will petition for a sixth year of eligibility for Kemp.
“Injuries are part of the game, and we’ll be forced to adjust,” Fox said in a press release. “Our primary concern is Marcelus. I feel absolutely terrible for him.”
It leaves newcomer Mo Charlo, returnee Jermaine Washington, freshman Kevyn Green, walk-on Seth Taylor and freshman Lyndale Burleson in the mix at shooting guard. Charlo also can play small forward as can Washington, who is a sensational offensive rebounder.
Burleson and returnee Kyle Shiloh figure to battle for the point guard slot.