Nevada rugby comes back for victory
December 9, 2007
The University of Nevada rugby team was able to pull out a 23-22 win over Chico State in miserable conditions with snow and ice on Friday night at home.
Chico was on a high as it was coming off a 24-12 win over Stanford and jumped out to a 12-3 lead against Nevada. After Chico scored a try to make it 5-0, Chad Gielow responded with a three-point penalty kick to make it 5-3. After Chico scored another try and converted the two-point kick, Gielow scored on another three-point kick to make it 12-6 at halftime.
Nevada scored a try to pull within 12-11, but Chico responded with a try to take a 17-11 lead. Gary Nagle then scored a try to pull Nevada within 17-16. After Chico scored a try to make it 22-16, Kyle Hertzberg scored a try and Gielow made the two-point coversion to give the Wolf Pack the 23-22 win.
Carson High graduate Ahron Osheroff, a sophomore, and Hertzberg led Nevada defensively as they led the Wolf Pack in tackles. Carl Zmaila also played well for Nevada. Nevada’s next game will be on January 12 at Stanford.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 4 Northwest Nevada solar projects proposed