Niehoff wins 800 free at Western Zone meet
August 13, 2005
Abby Niehoff of the Carson Tigersharks can claim to be the best distance swimmer for her age group in the Western U.S. after her performance.
Niehoff won the 800-meter freestyle on Saturday during the last day of the Western Zone Championships in Kearnes, Utah. Niehoff was a double winner in the meet as she also won the 1,500 free.
It was another impressive effort for Niehoff in 13-14 girls as she also took 11th in the 100 free on Saturday in one minute, 2.53 seconds. She went on to win the 800 free in 9:21.04 after coming into the event with a seeded time of 9:23.09.
Also for the Tigersharks, 15-year-old Kevin Dyer took ninth in the 15-16 boys 800 free and helped the Pacific Region all-star team to a fifth place finish in the 400 free relay in 3:50.22. Niehoff and Dyer represented the Pacific Region, which covers much of Nevada and Northern California, at the meet.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand