Reno’s Wise clinches spot on U.S. Olympic Team
January 12, 2018
SNOWMASS, Colo. (AP) — Reno's David Wise will get the chance to defend his Olympic gold medal after wrapping up his spot in the Pyeongchang Games with a victory in a ski halfpipe qualifier on Friday.
Wise beat fellow Americans Alex Ferreira and Aaron Blunck for his second victory of the season. Up to three more halfpipe spots are up for grabs next week in Mammoth Mountain. Ferreira, Blunck, Torin Yater-Wallace and Gus Kenworthy are among those in the mix.
Wise heads to Pyeongchang to defend his Olympic Gold with fellow Team USA athletes in early February.
"The Snowmass Grand Prix was one of the most technically advanced competitions I've ever been a part of. The level of skiing is the highest it's ever been, and I count it a huge honor to be out here competing," said Wise. "Sharing the podium with two of my best friends, standing on the top of the podium and locking in my U.S. Olympic Team spot is beyond a dream come true!"
Wise will compete at Mammoth Mountain and the X Games in Aspen, Colo.
Trending In: Sports
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- State track: Sierra Lutheran boys 2nd
- Prep Roundup: Douglas High softball falls in state title game
- Carson City’s Kyrsta Palmer wins U.S. title, off to World Cup