Senator boys settle for tie against Reno |

Senator boys settle for tie against Reno

Appeal StaffReport

The Carson High boys soccer team survived an extremely physical battle at Reno High on Saturday, coming away with a 1-1 tie.

Carson stayed in first place in the Sierra League as it is now 6-0-2. Douglas, which beat Wooster 3-1, is in second at 6-2.

The Senators will travel to face South Tahoe, which came into Saturday at 4-1-2, on Wednesday. Wooster is now 4-3-1 while Reno is 2-4-2.

Reno was called for eight yellow cards and two red cards, but both the red cards were soft red cards, allowing the Huskies to substitute and play at full strength.

“No problem with the referee,” Carson coach Jason Koop said. “He was calling it and doing what he needed to do.

“It was probably the most physical as far as aggressive play that I have had played against us. It was insane.”

Recommended Stories For You

Carson was also somewhat frustrated by Reno’s five midfielders and the Senators had to move a forward back to also have five midfielders to combat Reno’s strategy. Reno outshot Carson 10-8.

“We weren’t able to generate offensively like we normally do,” Koop said. “Exciting, yes. Good, pretty soccer, no. Very difficult to play. It was tough conditions.”

Reno took a 1-0 lead early in the second half, but Carson scored with 13 minutes left after it sent a ball into the goal box and Reno was called for a hands violation. Drew Good converted the penalty kick to force the tie.


The Tigers (12-3) gained revenge for a loss to the Colts in the first round. Douglas took a 1-0 lead when Andrew Andraski threw the ball in from about 30 yards and Ross Gardner took it and beat two defenders to score.

After Wooster scored to tie the game, Timo Loullgen sent a ball into the goal box and as Christian Salazar was about to shoot, he was taken down. Edgar Arceo converted the penalty kick to give Douglas a 2-1 halftime lead.

Arceo was also taken down in the goal box in the second half, but Douglas failed to convert the penalty kick. Eddie Vega, though, sent a free kick to Jose Alcaraz, who scored on a header with five minutes left to put the game away.

Goalie Ivan Gonzalez made three saves and Kyle Gardner and Geoff Rahe also played well for Douglas. The Tigers did lose Jeff Crozier to a knee injury. The extent of his injury is unknown.