Sun Devils win opener in Joe DiMaggio event
July 21, 2005
Douglas High graduates Jimmy Pierce and Chad Walling helped lead the way as the Sierra Sun Devils baseball team rolled to a 14-2 win over Napa, Calif., on Thursday in the Joe DiMaggio World Series being played near Napa.
Pierce and Walling, who both plan to play for Western Nevada Community College, had big days as the Sun Devils scored 13 runs in the second inning. Pierce went 3-for-4 with four RBI and Walling celebrated his 18th birthday by going 2-for-2 with two RBI in the game that was called after five innings.
Wooster High graduate Jeremy Joustra, who pill play at the University of Nevada, improved to 11-0, striking out the first five batters he faced. The Sun Devils will next play at 2:15 p.m. Saturday against an opponent to be determined.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders