The winners in the Walker Lake Derby
The big Thanksgiving Weekend Fishing Derby was held at Walker Lake last Saturday.
There were more than 200 entries in that one-day contest, which was sponsored by the Mineral County Chamber of Commerce.
The derby winners were:
1. Bud Higgins of Douglas County took home the first place prize of $1,500 in cash for the heaviest stringer of Lahontan cutthroat trout. His five fish weighed a total of 29 pounds, 10 ounces. His two biggest fish weighed 7-pounds, 12-ounces and 7-pounds, 5-ounces.
2. Cindy Bartell of Yerington with 27 pounds, 8-ounces took home $750.
3. Walter Cossette of Fallon won $500 with a total of 22 pounds, 2 ounces.
1. Trent Dotson, age 7, won with a stringer of trout that weighed 7-pounds, 8-ounces.
2. Tim Buffington, age 6, took second with 6-pounds, 2-ounces.
3. Tim Hall, age 10, finished third with 5-pounds, 15-ounces.
For information, call Bob Tompkins at the Gun and Tackle Store in Hawthorne at (775) 945-3266.