Three locals are Wendy’s state finalists
November 4, 2004
Three Carson Country athletes were named as state finalists in the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award Contest.
Carson High’s Liz Rankl, Dayton’s Danny Hopper and Fernley’s Matt Leestma were among 10 female and 10 male athletes to be chosen as state finalists in Nevada. They were among 1,020 student-athletes chosen as state finalists out of 14,875 student-athletes from across the country.
The state winners for Nevada were North Valleys’ Polly Smith and Tonopah’s Duffy Otteson. Out of 102 state winners, including those two, 12 national finalist – six boys and six girls – will be chosen.
The national finalists will travel to New York City Dec. 10-12 for the Heisman weekend activities. At that time, one female and one male student-athlete will be chosen as the Wendy’s Heisman High School Award winners.
Criteria for the Wendy’s Heisman Award includes athletic and scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities and community involvement.
Trending In: Sports
- Joe Santoro: Muss has dickens of a time with great expectations
- No. 7 Nevada wins 10th straight behind Porter’s 14 points
- Roger Diez: Here’s the skinny on Sunday’s race
- Mountain West Rankings: Nevada Wolf Pack men’s basketball team still rolling
- Marchegger named Gatorade runner of the year, signs with Pack