TRACK: Carson athletes fare well in trials
RENO – It was business as usual for Carson High’s boys and girls track teams at Saturday’s NIAA 4A regional trials at Damonte Ranch High School.
Nearly all the athletes that coach Robert Maw expected to move on did, and all Saturday’s trials were about was moving on.
The top three in next week’s finals move on to the state meet which will be held at Damonte Ranch on May 18-19.
The only casualty was Dakota Baker, who failed to move on in the 300 hurdles, though he qualified for next week’s finals in the 110 high hurdles (16.74). According to Maw, Baker was hit by a discus before he reported to run the the 300.
“Dexter (Cummings) and Zach (Heinz) both ran well,” Maw said of his two 800-mater runners. “Both ran PR’s. Between the two of them they shaved about five seconds off their time. That should help the 3200 relay team next week.
“Our throwers had a good day. We got four through in the shot put and three through in the discus. Chance (Quilling) also had a nice day.”
Cummings ran a 2:04.79 for ninth place, while Heinz ran a 2:06.74. Both will have to shave four or five seconds off that tim to make it to state in the 800.
Tiana McAllister-Daggs finished fourth in the shot (31-10) and sixth in th discus at 91-7. Ali Fleming also moved on in both events, placing eighth in the shot put (30-3 3/4 and third in the discus (99-10). Courtny Hack was fifth in the shot (31-2 3/4), while Makayla Ragnone was sixth in the shot at 30-10. Erika Valenzuela got the ninth and final qualifying in the discus at 89-6.
Quilling, who has played baseball throughoput his CHS career, has had a great season. He moved on in the 300 intermediate hurdles with a second-place time of 41.31. He was third in the triple jump at 42-4. He also ran a leg on the 800 and 1600-meter relay squads.
“He had a great day,” Maw said. “We only let him jump twice in the triple jump. He has a good chance to move on to state in both individual events.”
Other Carson athletes moving on:
• Corey Reid cleared 5-10 in the high, tying him for first. He’s also a member of the 800 and 1600-meter relay teams that moved on.
• Maddi Saarem was one of even vaulters to clear 9-feet. Madison Mills of Manogue cleared 9-6.
• Taylor Bradshaw was fourth in the 400, running a 51.54.
• Nathan Hazard qualified sixth in the discus at 131-0 and eighth in th shot put at 43-9.
• Sahara Winder qualified fourth in the 400 at 59.99.
• Alex Drozdoff was fifth in the 1600 with a 5:32.83. She’ll also run the 3200 next weekend.
• Rebecca Matley got the eighth and final qualifying spot in the 800, clocking a 2:27.37.
• Madison Preston led the high jump qualifiers at 4-10 and she got the ninth qualifying spot in the long jump with a leap of 15-6 1/4.
• Elena Thurman was the fifth qualifier in the triple jump with a 34-2 mark.
• The Carson girls qualifierd in the 1600 relay as did the boys.