Wildcat soccer rolls in season opener
August 31, 2007
The Western Nevada women’s soccer team opened the regular season with an impressive 6-0 win over Butte Community College in Redding, Calif., on Friday.
“Our midfield definitely improved their game from last week,” said Wildcats coach Hillary Arthur, comparing her team’s effort to a 3-0 loss in a scrimmage last Saturday against American River Community College.
Arthur said Marina Tharin and Kim Duke were especially dominant at center midfield. “They owned the center midfield area,” Arthur said. “Marina Tharin and Kim Duke had an awesome game.”
Arthur also praised the play of Virginia Loyola, Nicole Garn, Devon Wellington and Rachel Van Roy at midfield.
“We had a really good, solid 90-minute effort,” Arthur said. “We really did a good job of winning the 50-50 balls.”
Garn, Duke, Alexia Balmaseda, Cassie Romeo, Jordan Forman and Jessi Chitwood all scored for Western Nevada. Goalie Allie Otto posted the shutout as the Wildcats outshot Butte 30-5.
Recommended Stories For You
Arthur said it was a physical game, but the Wildcats were able to control the tempo, which frustrated Butte. Western Nevada will play again at 11 a.m. today against Shasta Community College in Redding.
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’