Wildcats roll to another win
September 1, 2007
The Western Nevada College women’s soccer team completed an opening dominant weekend by routing Shasta Community College 9-0 on Saturday to win the Shasta Tournament in Redding, Calif.
Western Nevada (2-0) was coming off a 6-0 win over Butte Community College on Friday. Cassie Romeo and Ashley Winter each scored twice and Rachel Van Roy, Virginia Loyola, Alexia Balmaseda, Kim Duke and Devon Wellington all scored for the Wildcats. Kalah Minter posted the shutout in goal as she went virtually untested.
“We just did a really good job of keeping the ball away from Shasta,” Wildcats coach Hillary Arthur said. “Shasta didn’t really have any offensive threats. We really maintained control of the game.
“The midfield definitely tightened up and won the 50-50 balls, pretty much dictating the pace of the game. We passed the ball so well. They got pretty frustrated.”
Arthur said her team should receive a much tougher test this weekend when it travels to Southern California to play in the Victor Valley College Cup. Western Nevada will play Antelope Valley Community College and Grossmont Community College this Friday.
“Next weekend will be more of a challenge,” Arthur said. “This was a good weekend for us but we’ve got to go back to work and prepare for next weekend.”
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit