Wilson takes second in NCAAs
June 5, 2002
Fallon High graduate Aarik Wilson placed second in the triple jump in the NCAA Championships this past week in Baton Rouge, La.
Wilson, competing for Indiana University, fouled on his first attempt in the final round at the NCAA championships. But he came back to record a jump of 53 feet, 1 3/4 inches and on his third and final jump, set a personal best of 54-8 3/4.
The mark was the third best in Indiana history and also beat his personal best of of 54-0 1/2 that he set to win the Big 10 Championships. For his efforts, Wilson was named as the Big 10 Freshman of the Year.
“I wanted to win,” said Wilson about the NCAA Championships. “I came out trying to win and being a freshman didn’t make me want to put my head down and just say ‘oh, well I’m just a freshman, so I’m just happy doing what I did. I still want to win.”
Wilson placed second behind LSU’s Walter Davis, an Olympian. Wilson is the grandson of Carson City’s Grant and Nisha Kremers.
Trending In: Sports
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit