About Us | NevadaAppeal.com

About Us

Nevada Appeal
580 Mallory Way
Carson City, Nev., 89702-2288


The Nevada Appeal, the Silver State’s oldest daily newspaper, came into existence on May 16, 1865, under the ownership of local businessmen E.F. McElwin, J. Barrett, and Marshall Robinson, with editor Harry Mighels coming aboard a few days later.


Named the Carson Daily Appeal, it had about 30 competitors over the next 100 years, some of which lasted for merely a few days while others managed to stay in business for a number of years. By 1868, Mighels had bought out the others, then sold his interests to C.L. Perkins and H.S. Street in 1870. In February, 1872, the paper was sold to John Boothe, a veteran newsman of Unionville, Virginia City, and Gold Hill. In September of 1872 Mighels bought it back, staying in his family until 1945. W.L. Davis owned it until 1947, then sold to Arthur Suverkrup who changed the name to the Nevada Appeal. It was bought by Donrey Media in 1951, sold to an investor group in 1993, then to Swift in 1995.

Publication Schedule and Circulation Figures

Newspaper is delivered mornings, six days per week: Tuesday through Sunday. Readership over 25,000 daily and 35,000 on Sundays. To subscribe call 775-882-2111.

Special Interest

The Nevada Appeal is the longest continuously operating business in Carson City. The newspaper celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2015.


The Nevada Appeal has received numerous awards from the Nevada Press Association, Associated Press and Swift Communications for its coverage of the Carson City area.