Burning candle claims Kings Canyon hot tub

The Carson City Fire Department responded to a fire at 1549 Kings Canyon Road at 10:25 a.m. Sunday when a spa caught fire on a back yard deck. Homeowner Sandra Lepire was testing a flaming floating candle in the hot tub in preparation for a party. While she was on the phone, the candle floated under part of the cover draped over the tub, igniting the cover and ultimately the surrounding redwood.

"We're having a party for Robey Willis September 5, after the primary election," Lepire said. Willis, an incumbent, is running for Justice of the Peace.

More frustrated with herself than shook, Lepire said the fire was actually discovered by for a Samaritan named Ron.

"He's the one that saw the smoke and came over," Lepire said, noting the man disappeared as mysteriously as he had come.

Two engines and an ambulance responded to the blaze, which damaged the tub and surrounding deck. Firemen also cleared the roof and attic, which were dangerously close to the flaming tub.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment