Old building in Fallon making new waves

FALLON - The State Historic Preservation Office has approved the listing of the Overland Hotel in Fallon on the state register of historic places.

The register is Nevada's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.

The Overland Hotel in Fallon was recognized for its historical significance. It was built in 1907 by Dan Griffin, who had briefly operated a cafe on the site.

Fallon was established in 1903 in response to the Newlands Reclamation Project, and was growing rapidly. Griffin made the business decision to enlarge his restaurant into a first-class hotel, offering "every appointment of the travelers needs," according to his advertisement, with 17 bedrooms (three with full baths), a kitchen, dining room, and saloon.

In 1909, George Sherman took over operation of the hotel, catering to a commercial trade. Sherman was elected Fallon's mayor in 1911, serving in that role until 1915. After vacating the office of mayor, he won a seat in the state Assembly.

Sherman recognized the role of tourism to his hotel, and to Fallon. When the Lincoln Highway Association chose a route that passed through Fallon, Sherman worked closely with the organization to win a stop on the route, which followed Center Street and passed the Overland Hotel.

After completion of the highway, the Overland served the highway traveler. A 1916 advertisement boasted: "The Overland Hotel, just an easy day's ride from Austin. Special attention given to tourists - telephone connections from all stations." The hotel remained an important landmark along the highway until the 1960s, when the route was changed.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment