By Don Quilici
Registrations are still being accepted for the 15th annual Kids' Fishing Derby.
That very special event for the children of this general area will to be held at Lampe Park in Gardnerville on June 5-6.
The Kids' Fishing Derby, one of the largest, free derbies in the United States, is open to all youngsters, ages 3-12.
There is no charge for registration or for participation.
The tiny anglers will be assigned to six different time periods on those two days.
Those time periods are:
All registrations will be on a first-come, first-served basis for those time periods.
Registration forms are available in Douglas County at the Douglas County Parks and Recreation Department at 1327 Waterloo Lane in Gardnerville (782-9828).
SPECIAL NOTE: The Kids' Fishing Derby is also seeking additional volunteers to assist with the derby.
Among the various activities requiring volunteers are:
1. Manning the registration desk for each session.
2. Selling doughnuts and hot coffee in the mornings.
3. Supplying "loaner" fishing poles and reels to youngsters who don't have their own equipment.
4. Baiting the youngsters' fishing hooks with Power Bait.
5. Manning the entry gates.
6. Untangling lines, snarls or snags during the actual derby.
7. Netting fish.
8. Cleaning the trout after they are caught.
9. Manning the prize table.
10. Working in the snack wagon selling food and drinks.
11. Cooking hamburgers and hot dogs on the outdoor grill.
For derby registration information, call the Douglas County Parks and Recreation Dept. at 782-9828 during regular business hours.
If you would like to volunteer to work on June 5 or June 6 or both days, call Co-Chair Person Pam Rodrigues at home at 265-1795 or Co-Chair Person Roger Arthur at home at 265-2825.