10. Sutro Tunnel
Designed to drain steaming water from the Comstock mines, Sutro Tunnel was first conceived by Adolph Sutro in 1860. Used to drain the mines of the steaming water that hampered operations, the tunnel extends deep underground for about four miles, coming to the surface at the base of the Virginia Range near Dayton. In 1880 alone, 2 billion (2,000,000,000) gallons of water passed through the tunnel, which continued to drain the shafts until 1940, long after the Comstock bonanza had dried up. A stream of water still flows from the tunnel, which is on private property and is opened to visitors only periodically.
9. Fourth Ward School
Opened in 1876, the school is located in the "fourth ward" district near Virginia City's boundary with the Divide. Fourth Ward was a combination grammar and high school, designed to accommodate 1,025 students. Innovations included a "modern" central heating system, water that was piped to all four floors and the latest Philadelphia-style spring-loaded, self-flushing toilets. The school was continuously used until the last class graduated in 1936.
8. First Air Flight in Nevada
The first air flight in Nevada took place on the old Raycraft Ranch on June 23, 1910, near what is now Glen Eagles restaurant. The flight was of national interest not only because an air journey had never before been made at such an altitude (4,675 feet), but also because Ivy Baldwin, a nationally known parachutist and balloonist, would make the flight. This was a trial flight, as stipulated by the Sagebrush Carnival Committee of Carson City and was followed by exhibition flights on July 3, 4 and 5 at the Carson City racetrack
7. Nevada State Prison and Warm Springs Hotel
The Warm Springs Hotel was used by Nevada's First Territorial Legislature as a meeting place in 1861. The structure was built from hand-hewn sandstone taken from a nearby quarry and typified the enterprise of owner, Abe Curry. In 1862, the hotel was leased by Nevada Territory and used for holding prisoners. Two years later, the property was purchased and became the State Prison. During 1867, the hotel was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1869. Present prison facilities occupy the ground where the hotel was situated.
6. Mormon Station, Genoa
Mormon Station commemorates one of the first Nevada settlements in 1851, when the first permanent trading post was established by a group of Mormon traders from Salt Lake City. The first effort at settlement came in 1850 when a group of young Mormon men, veterans of the Mormon Battalion during the Mexican War, dropped out of a party of 80 Mormons headed for the California gold fields.
5. Gold Hill Depot
Gold Hill was a regular stop on the V&T Railroad, along with Reno, Carson City and Virginia City. The station served passengers and freight, and was a telegraph station. Completed in September 1869, the Gold Hill Depot is a mile south of Virginia City on Highway 342. The depot is open to the public during special events in the summer, but visitors may park in the lot and examine the exterior of the building anytime.
4. Nevada State Museum and U.S. Mint
The building served as a U.S. Mint from 1870 to 1895. Today the museum is known for its exhibits, ranging from the Indian baskets of Washoe artist Dat So La Lee, to Coin Press No. 1.
3. Rinckel Mansion
A German immigrant and pioneer Carson City merchant, Mathias Rinckel accumulated a degree of wealth in the gold fields in the Feather River district of California from 1849 to 1859. He increased his fortune in mining at Virginia City and in 1863, he settled in Carson City where he worked in livestock and butchering. As a successful merchant, he supplied the mining and timber districts surrounding Eagle Valley with meat. The residence, which was completed in 1876, represents High Victorian Italianate architecture.
2. Genoa Courthouse
The original Douglas County Courthouse from 1865 to 1916, the building later served as the Genoa School. Today, exhibits there focus on the earliest settlers, the Washo Indians and the original courtroom and jail.
1. Brewery Arts Center
Built in the mid-1800s, the Brewery Arts Center is the historic home of the Carson Brewing Co. Home to the Nevada Appeal from 1951 to 1974, the Center has been Carson City's literary, educational, visual and performing arts center since April 1979.