• 2005 Business Showcase Expo at the Carson City Community Center from 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.
• Open house starting at 5 p.m. at the Nevada Appeal, 580 Mallory Way, to mark its 140th anniversary as a business.
• 2005 ACE Awards at Harrah's Reno Convention Center from 6-9 p.m. sponsored by the American Marketing Association. For more information and to download a copy of the official entry, go to www.renotahoeama.com. Cocktails and appetizers at 6 p.m. and the dinner and awards ceremony begins at 7 p.m. The cost for AMA members is $55; nonmembers $65; table of eight $440; students $40.
• Northern Nevada Development Authority membership breakfast meeting from 7- 9 a.m. at the Carson Valley Inn in Minden. Presentation by the Agency for Nuclear Projects. For information, call 883-4413.
• NEWTRAC, the Nevada World Trade Council's annual World Trade Day event from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Sienna Hotel Spa and Casino, 1 South Lake St. in Reno. The keynote speaker will be Reno Leon, El Salvador ambassador to the U.S. This year's topic: "New Business Opportunities in the Era of Free Trade Agreements." Other guest speakers include Chad Christensen, R-Las Vegas, who will summarize the 2005 legislative session; John Kauke, president of Global Market Linkage, who will speak on challenges and opportunities for Northern Nevada companies. The cost is $35 for members, $45 for nonmembers and $15 for students. For reservations, call 721-0560.
• The U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, Reno Area Field Office's National Homeownership open house and awards ceremony at the Reno HUD Storefront, 3702 S. Virginia St., Suite G-2, from 3:30-5 p.m.
The open house will honor six organizations for their commitment to providing affordable homeownership opportunities for our working families and first-time homebuyers in Northern Nevada: Citizens for Affordable Homes, Inc., The Builders Association of Northern Nevada, Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Northern Nevada, Northern Nevada Regional Multiple Listing Service, Mortgage Bankers Association of Northern Nevada, Reno Housing Authority.
• The Nevada Procurement Outreach Program and Wells Fargo will co-host a workshop from 9 a.m. to noon about government business opportunities. Washoe County School District, Sparks Purchasing Division and others will present at the Washoe County Complex, 1001 E. Ninth Street, Building C, Room C110. For more information, contact Tina Baldassare at 687-1813.
n To have a business event listed in the calendar, e-mail it to email@example.com or call 881-1212.