Broken elevator causes bank evacuation

A smoking elevator was to blame for the evacuation of a handful of employees from the Bank of America building at Roop and William streets Friday morning.

The Carson City Fire Department was called shortly after 8 a.m. to the building in the 600 block of E. William Street after employees reported the smell of smoke and a haze.

In addition to the bank, the building also houses several unrelated businesses. By the time crews arrived, the fire alarm had sounded and everyone evacuated to the parking lot.

Battalion Chief Richard Chrzanowski said after a short investigation it was determined a malfunctioning elevator was causing the smoke and smell.

Employees were allowed back inside around 9 a.m., he said.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment