Groups apply for Lyon block grants

  • Discuss Comment, Blog about
  • Print Friendly and PDF

The Lyon County utility and airport and two private entities are hoping to receive Community Development block grants.

Lyon County Utilities, on behalf of the Crystal Clear Water Co., which it took over last June, has applied for $170,000 to replace water lines and meters.

Much of the formerly private water company's infrastructure dated back to the 1960s, said Lyon County utilities director Mike Workman, and is badly in need of replacement.

The grant would be used to replace water service lines from the main line to the meter, replace the meter and install customer shut-off valves so that if there is a break in the line, homeowners can shut off their own water.

Workman's presentation, along with three others, was made to the Lyon County Commission on Thursday.

Hale Bennett, manager of the Silver Springs Airport, requested $118,000 to put in a fire-suppression water line at the airport, with pipes, hydrants and fittings.

He told the commissioners that he could not construct any buildings or hangars at the airport without fire-suppression capability.

Bennett received support from outgoing commissioner Chet Hillyard.

"The economy and infrastructure of Silver Springs depends on this project," Hillyard said.

Don Allen, manager of the Silver Springs Municipal Water Co., said the utility would also benefit from approval of the grant.

Jamie Arnold, office manager for the Silver Springs General Improvement District, requested $38,900 to complete a preliminary engineering plan for its wastewater plant expansion. The GID voted to hire Carollo Engineering to perform the study.

Expansion is necessary because the GID has sold 85 percent of EDUs, or equivalent dwelling units, allowed under state regulations.

The fourth application for a grant came from the Silver Springs Entertainment and Arts for $39,532 to begin construction on a youth center on the historic Stockton Wells property.

• Contact reporter Karen Woodmansee at or 882-2111, ext. 351.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment