New site to obtain business licenses

People seeking business licenses in Carson City soon will be able to take care of permits and other filings at the same location.

The Board of Supervisors last week tentatively approved moving a position from the treasurer's office at City Hall, where the task is handled now, to the Development Services Department at Northgate Lane to streamline the process.

Business license personnel will not be available at either location today to allow for the move from downtown to the north side.

As the system works now, application information is routed from City Hall to development services for verification. Moving the application process to development services "will remove at least one step," said City Manager Linda Ritter.

It's also expected to save the city a little money.

"That's all I needed to hear," said Mayor Marv Teixeira of the plan.

The relocation also will provide a little more parking around City Hall than there has been, said Treasurer Al Kramer.

"Parking around City Hall has always been an issue," Kramer said.

The focus of the development services is on land use, engineering and building permits - functions that were formerly part of the Public Works Department. It's a combination of planning, building and safety, and the portion of engineering that does planning and development reviews. It was formed last year.

Larry Werner is the head of development services.

While the city is determining what the department's long-term priorities should be, its overall mission is to "improve the city's responsiveness" toward builders and developers and "have a more coordinated response to permits and plan reviews," Werner said.

City Hall used to be at Northgate. It moved to its Carson Street location in 1997.

Business people need a Carson City business license if they have some sort of a physical presence in the city - whether a commercial site or a business operated out of a residence. People who come to the city to conduct business or deliver a product also need a business license.

Various forms are available through the city - Nevada business registration, certificate of business, fictitious firm name, Carson City business license update, commercial location forms, home occupation forms, liquor license forms and special event forms.

People can download these and an array of other city business forms at

For your information

• Business licenses will be available starting Wednesday at the Development Services Department, 2621 Northgate Lane, Suite 6. These documents will no longer be available through the Treasurer's Office at City Hall.

• Neither location will be open today while personnel move from one site to the other. Call 887-2310 for details.

• Download various city business forms at

• Contact reporter Terri Harber at tharber or 882-2111, ext. 215.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment