SAM'S BEST BETS
Once again we'll be updating the entertainment picture for Carson City and Lake Tahoe, plus Reno and who knows where else. Much is going on that we couldn't get into Thursday's paper, so here's some new entertainment opportunities. This report will appear Fridays at the Nevada Appeal Web site, nevadaappeal.com. Contact Sam Bauman, entertainment editor, with any questions at Sbauman@nevadaappeal.com or 881-1236.
- Greg London continues at Harrah's Reno with his one-man (and two ladies) show "Icons. He's a mimic, a musician, a quick-change artist and enjoyable. Call 788-2900 for reservations for the 8 p.m. show. Tickets are $31.95 and $36.95.
-Nikki's Beach at the Grand Sierra has reopened from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. $10 gets you into the lush swim area. And the ALLCITY Live lounge there is no more, now it's the Pearl Champagne Lounge. Cover is $20 and bubbly is the drink of choice.
- That sensational show "FloorPlay" is still turning up the temperature with brilliant dancing and explosive drum work at the Eldorado Casino in Reno.. This is truly one of the best shows to hit Reno in years; the dancers are Olympic in quality. Call 786-5700 for tickets which go at $29.85 to $43.95. You can't go wrong with this spectacular.
- Up at the Lake, Horizons is hosting "Yesterday " a Tribute to the Beatles," a 8:30 p.m. Wednesday through Monday. A special "Sgt. Pepper" show is on Saturday night a 10:30. Call 588-6211 for the $26.95 tickets.
- Locally, at the Carson Nugget Carmon and Co. plays on into the night, no cover (882-1626). Rebekah Chase band takes over Tuesday.
- Midnight Riders play at the Carson Station (883-0900) and a the Carson Valley Inn in Minden, the M8trix are in the Celebrity Lounge ((782-97110.
- Fitzgerald's Hotel Casino opens its doors to the music lovers of all ages, including the under-21 crowd, for the Artown After Dark concert series every Friday night throughout the month of July. Each week, different bands grace the stage and rock the house for a tribute to Reno's local music scene as part of Artown's jam-packed events calendar.
Artown After Dark shows include:
- July 25 - Kate Cotter and Seth Horan
Singer songwriter Seth Horan slaps, taps and wows the crowd alongside Kate Cotter's unique, haunting voice and poetic lyrics. The acoustic blend of the two artists and their unique musical styles will leave the crowd wanting more.
Artown After Dark shows begin at 10 p.m. and are held in the Lord Fitzgerald's Room at the Fitzgerald's Hotel and Casino in downtown Reno. Each show is open to music fans of all ages and has a $5 cover charge. Visit www.RenoIsArtown.com or call 322-1538.
- Styx hits the Silver Legacy in Reno Friday, July 18, and Tom Jones follows Saturday July 19 in the Reno Ballroom. Call (800) MUST SEE.
- The Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival is under way with "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Richard III" on the boards at Sand Harbor State Park, Highway 28. Plus a n new comedy "CAMBIO." Call (866) 327-4697 for show dates. Tickets are $19 to $72.
- Friday July 18 Nikki Beach and Moda Star Models & Swimwear presents Bikini Launch Party. Unveiling of the Moda Star Bikini Line and Model Search. Win prizes, cash or a Moda Star Talent Agency Contract. For more info call (559) 222-2500 or e-mail email@example.com. Pearl Champagne Lounge brings you straight from the streets Big Syphe. Nikki Beach doors open at 9 p.m. and Pearl doors open at 11 p.m. Ladies in free before 10 p.m.
Nikki Saturday brings you DJ Kevin Scott. His ultra clean mixing and smooth blends along with his original mashups and remixes set him apart from other DJ's in the party rocking genre. He has worked with industry heavyweights like Busta Rhymes, Bizmarkie, Pharrell, Mickey Avalon, Tony Touch, Mark Ronson, and DJ AM and DJ'ed for just about every Hollywood star you could think of. Pearl Champagne Lounge brings back for an encore performance video mash-up master DJ Crime.
Nikki Beach's world-renowned Sunday pool party, Amazing Sundays, is a mixture of entertainment and relaxation rolled in to one fun-filled day. This Sunday Nikki Beach brings you the sexy sounds of Jetset Music's Ron Reeser & Dan Saenz. Plus all the way from Australia DJ Brad Spali. Party starts at 11 a.m. and goes until 8 p.m.
To get on the guest list for free cover for Friday's, Saturday's and/or Sunday's events go to http://nikkibeach.pkreative.com. You must sign up before 6 p.m. day of for Friday and Saturday events and by 6 p.m. on Saturday for Sunday events.
- At John Ascuaga's Nugget in Sparks, it's Rockin' the Colonies and with three groups offering the music. The Alarm, the Fixx and English Beat are on tap, at 8 p.m., tickets are $30 at 648-1177.
- James Taylor and his guitar are due at Harveys Lake Tahoe outdoor Concert Series. He appears at 7 p.m. with tickets $49.50 to $79.50 at 786-8497.
- Toby Keith on his biggest, baddest tour appears at Harveys Sunday July 28 at 7 p.m., with Montgomery Gentry, Carters Chord, Mica Roberts and Trailer Choir. Go for $67.50 to $125, call 786-8479.
- Vocal group Hall of Fame inductees America plays Saturday Aug. 19 at 9 p.m. at MontBleu Resort in Stateline. Tickets are $35-$45 at (800) 648-3353.
- The Grand Sierra Resort hosts the Miss Nevada 2008 Beauty Pageant at 7:30 p.m., tickets are $25-$45. Brett Dennen appears at the Grand Sierra Wednesday July 23 t 8 p.m. Guitar and lush arrangements. $20 at the door, call 789-2000.
- ARTOWN EVENTS:
- Tuesday, July 22, 8 to 10 p.m. $20, The Redfield Studio Theater, University of Nevada, Reno. Tickets: 322-1538. Sara Juli's "The Money Conversation" is a 60-minute solo performance piece in which the artist confronts her own troubled relationship with money by giving it all away. Juli has cashed in all of her life savings and brings it to the theater, in cash, each evening and performs with it onstage. Through monologue, movement, and audience interaction she explores the way money permeates our thoughts and behavior, and how it influences our culture in the obvious and not-so-obvious ways. Mature audiences.
- Friday, July 25, 8 to 10 p.m., $50 to $95 in the Reno Ballroom, 401 N. Center St. Tickets: (888) 288-1833 or http://www.downtownreno.com/calendar. Ringo and his 10th All-Starr band will bring peace and love on a 31-date summer tour. The 10th All Starr-studded ensemble will include returning All Starrs (in alphabetical order): Colin Hay, Billy Squier, Hamish Stuart, Edgar Winter, and first timer Gary Wright and on drums, Gregg Bissonette.
- Bold energy. Arresting virtuosity. Captivating intensity. Your breath will be taken away as Artown presents one of the most innovative and exciting American dance troupes, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago. Known for its dynamic, artistic and unconventional repertoire, this phenomenal dance company inspires audiences to think, explore a range of emotions and have fun. Sponsored by Fitzgerald's Casino/Hotel Reno. Saturday, July 26, 8 to 10 p.m., tickets $25 to $49, Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts, 100 S. Virginia St. Tickets: 322-1538.
- Missoula Children's Theatre presents "The Little Mermaid." Deep in the salty waters of the Sassafras Sea, there lived a Little Mermaid. She and her three sisters were allowed one visit to the World Above, each on their 16th birthday, to learn the secrets of life on dry land. Missoula Children's Theatre and more than 50 local students will present "The Little Mermaid." The production is part of the Missoula Children's Theatre's unique international touring project. Saturday, July 26, 7:30 to 9: p.m., $10, Nightingale Concert Hall, Church Fine Arts, University of Nevada, Reno. Tickets: 322-1538