Authorities led on two high speed chases

The Fallon Police Department was involved in three vehicle pursuits last week resulting in three arrests.

Andrew Seth Taylor, 18, of Fallon, had his arraignment Friday morning in Justice Court following a high speed chase with police and Churchill County Sheriff's deputies early Tuesday.

According to the criminal complaint, Taylor drove in excess speeds of 70 miles per hour in a posted 35 mph zone, ran five or more stop signs, attempted to strike officer vehicles, struck a home in north Fallon causing property damage, hit two vehicles causing damage, struck a utility box and also hit several mail boxes on Taylor Street.

Officers first responded to call of a reckless driver speeding from Wal-Mart after striking several curbs around 2:45 a.m. The FPD located the vehicle about two hours later near Venturacci Lane and Coleman Road, but Taylor fled and headed toward North Maine Street where a deputy had blocked the roadway with his vehicle.

Taylor nearly struck the deputy's vehicle but turned onto Keddie Lane and sped through the residential neighborhood. With officers from both agencies still giving chase, Taylor evaded authorities and struck mailboxes, a utility box and a parked pick up truck in the neighborhood.

Taylor almost struck another officer's vehicle and ended up pulling into a driveway on Nola Street and struck the garage door.

A deputy pulled his gun and ordered Taylor from the car. While being handcuffed, Taylor allegedly told officers, "Thought I'd give you guys a little action tonight."

A preliminary breathalyzer test showed Taylor's alcohol level to be .16, twice the legal limit.

The vehicle, a new white Ford Mustang with temporary registration, was taken without permission from the roommate of Taylor's sister.

Aside from the felony charge of failure to stop for a peace officer, Taylor faces a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence. He remains in custody at the Churchill County Jail.

Fallon police officers faced another vehicle chase Friday morning when a male fled on foot from officers investigating a vehicle at Venturacci Park at 1:20 a.m.

Officers interviewed a female in the vehicle and learned a domestic assault with the use of a deadly weapon had occurred within the city.

Miguel Martinez, 30, of Dayton, fled the city in another vehicle and was spotted traveling westbound on the Reno Highway at speeds reaching 100 mph, according to a police department release.

The Lyon County Sheriff's Department attempted to deploy spike strips, but Martinez avoided them by crossing into the eastbound lanes while traveling west. Lyon County deputies successfully deployed the spike strips as the vehicle reached Fernley.

Martinez displayed a large knife toward deputies when exiting the vehicle, and deputies from both counties deployed tasers. He was taken into custody without injuries to either himself or deputies.

Martinez was initially charged by the police department with domestic battery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, grand larceny and coercion. The Churchill County Sheriff's Department has charged Martinez with felony alluding, driving under the influence and possession of stolen property. The Lyon County Sheriff's Office is considering charges from its jurisdiction. Martinez remains in the Churchill County Jail.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment