Carson High School's culinary students are back in the kitchen this week after a malfunctioning fire sprinkler banished them just before the Thanksgiving holiday.
Instructor Penny Reynolds said the double-stack confectionery oven that filled with water last Wednesday isn't working, leaving them with three regular ovens and a single-deck confectionery oven.
Although the double-stack has been their primary oven, Reynolds said the students were able to pull off a dinner for 75 school district officials Tuesday evening and are planning a banquet for 180 marching band students.
Firefighters mopped up the nearly 300 gallons of water and fire retardant that spilled into the kitchen last week. Reynolds said students went to work right away when they returned to school this week to finish the cleaning process.
"This is their kitchen," she said. "This is their pride and joy as much as it is mine."
Reynolds said she is hoping the $11,000 oven will return to working order once completely dry.