Carson City home damaged in morning fire

Cathleen Allison/Nevada Appeal

Cathleen Allison/Nevada Appeal

A Carson City couple was left homeless early Friday morning after the wall behind their fireplace ignited and flames ran into the attic.

Johnny Alvarado said he and his fiance, Vanessa Bangert, were asleep after having entertained their families for Thanksgiving when about 1:30 a.m. the smoke alarms went off at their El Rancho Street home in west Carson City.

Alvarado said that when he walked into the living room, the fireplace wall was glowing red.

Fire Capt. Bob Schreihans said the fire moved through the attic, and crews had to tear out the ceiling in the kitchen, living room and dining room to contain it.

The home is not livable, said Battalion Chief Dan Shirey.

Alvarado said he and Bangert had just remodeled and moved into the home in August. This was their first holiday in the house where they planned to live after their upcoming May wedding.

"I guess I'll call the insurance company now," said Alvarado.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment