130 YEARS AGO
Conciliating the Devil: The Chinese of this city celebrated "Chin Chin Joss," the festival of conciliating the Evil One. The Chinese quarter streets were illuminated by little joss sticks stuck into little heaps of sand about three inches high. Apples, grapes and peaches were thrown to the ground by worshippers as an offering to the devil. The Chinese believe the devil comes from his obscurity, and seeing the offerings made to him, shields the devotees from harm for a whole year.
The first term of the sixth year of the Nevada State University at Elko began Monday. The Board of Regents directed attention to the advantages afforded pupils ... no charge for tuition, and board and room will be furnished at $30 per month.
120 YEARS AGO
• The Indians must be on the war path ... about a dozen young Indian boys were seen painted a bright red, and all had feathers in their hats.
• The large number of handsome young ladies, which went to Virginia Monday, slightly took the wind out of the sails of the alleged Virginia beauties.
• Peter Gordon has thrown his amateur camera all over the Yosomite (sic). His picture of Doyle and Cowing climbing a tree to escape a bear is very clearly defined.
• During a recent hot spell in Keeler, it was so hot that if you puffed hard on a cigar in the open air, it would ignite. (Wabuska Mangler)
70 YEARS AGO
Stop "Gone with the Wind" - Daughters of Union Civil War have started a campaign to stop showing the picture - asserting it is an unfair and besmirches General Sherman.
50 YEARS AGO
Advertisement: Sky-Vue Drive-in Theatre, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" with Elizabeth Taylor, Burl Ives and Paul Newman.
10 YEARS AGO
The Nevada Prepaid Tuition program accepts application with payments beginning in January 2000. Because the program locks in future tuition costs at this year's tuition rate, parents and grandparents of newborns and young children are encouraged to apply.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.