Carson upset after Manogue ties game in extra time

RENO — Carson High soccer coach Mehdi Samii didn’t mince words.“I think we truly got wronged,” the first-year Carson coach said. “He (the center official) told me time was up, but that he had to let them try the corner kick.”The result? Bishop Manogue’s Anthony Juarez scored during a scrum in front of the net to give the Miners a 2-2 tie with Carson Wednesday night at D.J. Benardis Field.Carson dropped to 2-1-1 in Division I play, while Manogue got into the win column after three straight losses.Manogue tried a corner kick, but it was whistled back and the Miners tried again, this time with success.Carson quickly got the ball to midfield and Nathan King kicked it in from midfield, but the shot was waved off by the center official. Manogue’s goalie had come in to be an extra defender on the corner kick and never made it back down the field.“Our keeper (Gustavo Villagrana) had it,” said Carson forward Francisco Barrios, who scored the Senators’ second goal. “Their guy kicked him and the ball.”The game officially ended moments after King’s kick was waved, and a very upset Carson team left the field in a foul mood.It was a game that Carson dominated. Had it not been for a penalty kick in the 74th minute and the last goal, the Senators would have another ‘W’.Samii started the game with several reserves, resting Cristian Hernandez and Jon Guevara, two of his best offensive players for approximately the first 20 minutes of the contest.In that span, Carson dominated time of possession, but had only one serious scoring threat. In the 29th minute, Carson finally broke through for a 1-0 lead when Guevara scored off a Hernandez assist.Carson took a 2-0 lead in the 52nd minute on a goal by Barrios.“I basically just turned and shot it,” Barrios said. “There was no one open so I took the shot.”Hernandez had two good looks in a 15-minute span, Manogue had a nice center off a corner kick which Villagrana knocked a way.In the 74th minute, a Carson defender was called for a hand ball, and Logan Williams converted the free kick to make it 2-1.“The official said the ball hit our player in the shoulder,” Samii said.That set the stage for the bitter ending.Carson was scheduled to play at McQueen on Saturday, but both the boys and girls games have been postponed because of lack of officials.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment