Suspect in chase, patrol car ramming arrested near Carson High School

A man was arrested Friday after allegedly leading law enforcement on a chase that began in Carson City , ramming a deputy’s patrol vehicle and crashing his car before fleeing on foot Thursday night.

The sheriff’s office began searching the field near Carson High School about 3:30 p.m. Friday, and the man was found in a school bus. He refused to come out, and a K9 was sent after him. The man struggled and was hospitalized for his bite wound, Undersheriff Steve Albertsen said.

“He tried to fight the dog. He lost,” Albertsen said. The man’s identity is not yet known, and officers say he’s being uncooperative.

Once officers spotted him, he “took off running,” Albertsen said.

The man allegedly led deputies on a chase Thursday in a white Toyota Camry that had been reported stolen in California, ramming the patrol vehicle at Tablerock and Northridge drives.

The Carson City Sheriff’s Office called in the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office RAVEN helicopter to search for the man, as well as a K9 unit from Douglas County, after the chase began about 8:15 p.m. Thursday in the Carson City Walmart parking lot.

The man, described as Hispanic and having a shaved head, reportedly eluded the sheriff’s office while running shirtless through back yards.

“He runs like a rabbit,” Albertsen said. “He was jumping over fences” and taking other evasive action.

Two women, ages 21 and 26, were in the car and were arrested. They told officers they had just met the man and offered him $5 to drive them to the 26-year-old’s grandmother’s house, according to the arrest report.

The 26-year-old was arrested on suspicion of four counts of possession of drug paraphernalia.

She later was arrested on suspicion of an additional charge, obstructing and delaying a peace officer. Her total bail was set at $4,960.

The grandmother told officers that the man had been staying at her house with the 26-year-old and that he had a gun, which she admonished him to leave in his vehicle, Albertsen said.

The 21-year-old was later arrested on suspicion of obstructing and delaying a peace officer, and her bail was set at $412.

The woman was found at a bar on West Winnie Lane.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment